September 23, 2007

Does the shape of your head matter?

So the other day my dad and I took Asher to his 9 month dr. appt and I thought we were in the clear for a while regarding shots, but I chose to have them administer the flu shot....anyway, that was fine because Asher has been a CHAMP with every shot he's ever gotten...how do I know? That's a good question considering I am a total woosie with needles/shots and bring my dad (who's a doctor) along so that he can stay in the room with Asher while I go wait in the waiting room! I know, I'm so silly but what can I say!
I decided that it was a good time to ask the doctor if the shape of his head will change as he gets a little older....I'm a bit nervous that he will be made fun of!! You see, now that moms are told to have their babies sleep on their backs, there is a good chance their head might be flat in some places. Well, that's kind of what's happened to Asher. He favored sleeping with his head turned to the right. No matter what I did to help that, including lots of "tummy time", the right side is a bit more flat than the rest of his head. Unfortunately the doctor said his head shape won't change anymore, but that when his hair grows in a bit thicker she says no one will notice! She says not to worry one bit because he is a smart baby and it's what matters on the inside, not the outside! Well said doc!
However, I got to thinking about this and realized that when I was a baby, nobody had to worry about their baby's head shape because we all slept on our stomachs...but maybe there is hope for Asher....since all the kids around him have had to sleep on their backs, I am now convinced that a high percentage of his grade school classmates will have the same issue and therefore, no one will make fun of anyone else! All I can do is hope and pray, right? And pray that Asher gets my thick hair gene!!!
Can you believe that things like this sometimes cloud the minds of mommies all over the world?? I'm not the only one, right?

2 comments:

Peaby said...

The best thing is, nobody notices these things but the moms.

He's a little stud!

Chris said...

you are so funny! asher is absolutely adorable and i'm sure his head looks great! he will be fine and i know he won't look funny! sad about the shots, i have to take marshall in next week for his 3rd round of shots. he's usually done crying by the time we leave and then i take him to startbucks which of course makes him feel better:) love you