February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day

So Valentine's day is not my thing....I have never ever cared about it...and always kind of thought it was dumb that it was a holiday. My thinking is why do we need to make a holiday where one day we show crazy amounts of love to people when we should be showing everyone crazy love EVERY day out of the year. I also think V-day creates huge expectations on spouses and significant others only to have so many people let down. Plus it causes people with no family or significant others to be terribly depressed and lonely for the day. Maybe you think I am a Humbug, but what can I say. I might be the only woman out there that feels this way.
This is the background to why I came to these conclusions of V-day....I will use a fake name for the sake of this guys privacy (and if he ever finds my blog I don't want him to be offended)...So I was a 10th grader and had been dating this really nice guy, Joe, for 4 weeks. Joe was really wealthy and an only child... a bit spoiled, but sweet nonetheless. He went ALL OUT on V-day for me....two dozen red roses, a giant white teddybear, chocolates and all sorts of other stuff I don't remember. Well, some of you might know or remember that my least love language is gifts....I scored a big fat ZERO in the gifts area so it was so overwhelming to me to be showered with all the gifts and the amount of money Joe spent. To top it all off, after 4 weeks of dating he told me he LOVED me! I was 15 years old and remembered thinking, "this guy is nuts if he thinks he's in love with me! We're only 10th graders for cryin' out loud!" Well, lets just say I was so turned off by it all that I broke up with Joe 2 weeks later. I know, you think I'm mean but it was just too much for me and from then on, I never wanted to celebrate another V-day again! I remember telling Curt shortly after we got engaged (V-day was soon after that) that I didn't celebrate Valentine's and that he better not do anything but give me a card if he really needed to!

All this to say, that we try and show lots of love to one another every day (we're not always good at it, though!). This Valentines, I helped Asher make cards for his grandparents, his cousin (who turned 1 year old on V-day) and his daddy.
I sincerely hope anyone who celebrates V-day had a lovely time!
P.S. The next morning after Asher got the orange balloon (V-day), he refused to eat breakfast without it!

3 comments:

Lara said...

That was so creative that you guys made Valentine's! So cute, you are a good Mom! Remind me to tell you my Valentine's story when I was in the 1st grade. It is so funny! Love ya!

Lara said...

PS
So cute that Asher still has the balloon with him! He just loved playing with that!

Chris said...

good story! poor joe! i think you're going to need to invest in a helium tank for your house! and lots and lots of balloons! i don't think marshall has ever seen a balloon. this is a good reminder to keep him away as long as possible! jk! love you...
neels