I was taught early on by my dad that it's important to recognize our military people and veterans and give them a warm welcome and let them know how appreciated they are. You see, my dad served in the late 60's in the Army as a military policeman in a time where it wasn't popular to serve but being drafted was inevitable so my dad volunteered before being drafted. He has told me many stories but one in particular always stood out to me. He told me that when he landed in Seattle after finishing a deployment in Korea that he rushed to the nearest bathroom to change out of his fatigues because there were protesters in the airports that would yell and scream at people that were easily identifiable as military. People would hurl insults and spit on them as they walked by. This was their homecoming. They certainly did not receive support or encouragement. They were not given standing ovations for their service and sacrifice. They were mocked and abused...and these soldiers were the very reason people could sleep well at night! It makes me sick to my stomach to think that people were so ungrateful.
I might not agree with the fact that we are fighting a war in Afghanistan right now, but I certainly love and appreciate the ones who are away from their families...away from their wives who are delivering their newborn babies...missing their children's birthday parties...missing the sons and daughter's high school graduations, etc.
Growing up, every time I was in public with my dad and we saw someone in uniform, he would stop whatever it was we were doing and walk right up to them, shake their hand's and thank them for the service. When I was a young adult, that used to kind of embarrass me (although deep down I was also proud of my dad for acknowledging them after knowing what he and his fellow soldiers went through in the past). Ever since my brother, Dylan, joined the Air Force about 8 years ago, I know why my dad does it. I have experienced the pride in knowing and loving someone who is serving in the military. I understand the sacrifice now. The table's have turned and sometimes I find my self walking up to someone in uniform and thanking them for their dedication and sacrifice.
I'm so proud to know that my grandfather served in the Air Force and did it with honor. I wish he was alive today so I could ask him questions and hear stories about his experience. I am so proud that my dad spent the first year of his marriage in Korea away from my mom...his beautiful new bride...fighting for a war that was unpopular. What a sacrifice that was! I am honored that my brother left his home and spent 3 years over seas in Korea and Iraq fighting for justice...being awarded the Bronze Star for his amazing work in Iraq against terrorists and insurgents.
Today, I am proud and filled with gratitude.
Robert Williams a Captain in the US Army Air Force in 1943
John Williams, a Private First Class in the US Army Military Police in 1969
Dylan Williams, a Captain in the US Air Force in 2009
(My brother is now a Major in the Air Force)
No comments:
Post a Comment