October 31, 2008

Halloween

So get this....I hate Halloween....I haven't always. As a kid and preteen, I LOVED it. My brothers and I along with our best friends, Chris and Kendall Tharp, planned our Halloween costumes weeks in advance! We plotted and got our creative parents involved and it was always so fun to see the costumes all put together for trick or treating. Our neighborhood was INSANE on Halloween! I mean, kids from all over the North side of Tucson came in busloads to our neighborhood so you can imagine why we used pillow cases as our candy bags!
Anyway, now that I'm older, I really hate the day because I get creeped out at all the bad stuff I know goes on during this night....the day just kind of seems evil so I haven't wanted my child to have any part. Well, after I found out that my niece and nephew were going to dress up, I caved from peer pressure and went to Target and picked through the remaining costumes and only found one! It ended up being a candy corn outfit which is ironic because I HATE candy corn! I think it's the nastiest tasting candy EVER! Then this morning I really wanted to wear my new bright orange shirt and realized it was Halloween....but I caved because I wanted to wear it THAT bad....so I went to work looking festive for Halloween for the first time in my adult life, bought my child a costume AND took him trick or treating!

Needless to say, it was so fun and he was so stinkin' cute! he learned to say "trick or treat!" and got the hang of grabbing candy and shoving it in his little bag really quickly! He always ended with a "thank you" and an enthusiastic "bye!"
My dad took most of the pics with his camera so I only have two with mine. He wouldn't take a picture without holding the flashlight so here is the proof that I buckled under pressure and celebrated Halloween anyway!


7 comments:

Lara said...

Very cute! I love how he is holding the flashlight. I am so glad you guys had fun! You are wearing the earrings, yeah! :)
See you after my dad leaves!

Chris said...

Hi i miss you!!!!!
That is such a cute costume! You're hilarious...I can picture you cursing beneath your breath as you sift through the remaining costumes at Target. That was a laughable moment for me imagining that!
I'm so glad you caved...the kiddos are so cute and people love to have them as trick or treaters!

Rach said...

How cute! I love the candy corn costume. I've never seen that before. And, what?!! How can you not like candy corn. YUM!

Kesha Thomas said...

Good! Halloween doesn't need to be creepy! It's such a fun experience and event for kids! He looks ADORABLE in that costume!

Anonymous said...

It's great families like yours that keep the fun spirit of Halloween alive. And I totally remember how many trick-or-treaters you would get at your parent's house. It was crazy!

Rebecca.Alburn said...

hee hee, how fun!

KeriAnn said...

as long as he's only dressing up as a candy corn (haha) and you're not out teaching him to "make-you-own" wigi board, i think you're ok.
and you are right, he's really cute.